I came up with a super easy and delicious DIY gift using one of my all-time favorite recipes!
Now you can share my fruit & Spice cookies with your friends and family! You do the prep (no worries–it’s quick and easy), and then they get to bake and enjoy freshly-baked cookies!
These Fruit and Spice Cookies are a plant-based version of my grandmother’s infamous Christmas cookie recipe. I’m so excited to share it with you in this way so even more people can enjoy this treat.
They were delicious before, but now they’re even tastier AND they’re surprisingly very nutritious!
This is the perfect gift to give if:
1. You’re a healthy, plant-based eater (100% or partially) and want to share your yummy lifestyle with others in a non-pushy way that they will really enjoy.
2. You know someone who’s already eating a plant-based diet, or wants to transition to this transformative health-promoting lifestyle that’s becoming trendier and sexier with every passing bite.
3. Maybe you know someone who’s choosing to avoid processed sugar, or gluten, or animal products, and you have no idea what to come that they’ll honestly like.
4. You want to give something thoughtful and fun, but don’t want to break the bank. The fact that it’s edible is just the cherry on top!
Whatever the reason, this is a one-of-kind gift that anyone and everyone will enjoy!
This Cookie Mix in a Jar will be super simple for you to put together—I’ll walk you through it step-by-step.
Then it’s going to be even easier for your giftees to make the dough, bake and enjoy two dozen warm, delicious cookies!
With the print out instructions to attach to the jar, I’ll walk them through it step-by-step, as well!
The best part is that it’s not just a tasty AND healthy treat, but they’ll also have a chance to get their hands dirty and create!
Maybe they’ll even be inspired for a healthier 2018!
Photo of these Fruit & Spice Cookies from Forks Over Knives. Looks delicious, right??
You can see my original Fruit & Spice Cookie Recipe here.
Makes 24 cookies | Ready in 25 minutes | Stores 4 days at room temp
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE COOKIE JARS:
- one clean 16oz mason jar
one clean 8oz mason jar
8 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
1 cup strawberry jam, fruit juice-sweetened
1 cup applesauce, no added sugar
1 cup crumbled pecans
3 cups rolled oats
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
ACTION STEPS TO MAKE GIFT JARS
- Grind 1½ cups of the rolled oats into oat flour using a blender, food processor or even a coffee grinder.
- Layer the 16 oz jar with the following in this specific order: 1 cup crumbled pecans, 1½ cups rolled oats, 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, 1½ cups oat flour, and 1 tablespoon baking powder. Seal on the lid.
- In the 8 oz mason jar, add 8 the diced Medjool dates to the bottom and then push them down as much as you can using a spoon. Then add the 1 cup strawberry jam and fill the remainder of the jar with applesauce. You may not be able to fit the entire cup of applesauce and that’s ok. Seal on the lid.
- Click here to print out the cookies in a jar gift card. If you can, print it on a thicker paper or cardstock. Attach to one of the jars or include in an envelope.
- Add any special holiday wrapping or packaging as you wish.
- Repeat steps 1-5 as needed if you wish to gift these Fruit & Spices Cookies to more than one.
- Since there are no preservatives added either, it’s best to store the wet ingredients in the fridge, and bake the cookies within 2 weeks of when they mix was packaged. Identify this date and either write it on the card or tell the cookies receiver.
- Once you give this tasty gift, make sure to share with your loved ones how unique this cookie recipe is. It’s made with wholesome plant foods and without any refined sugar, flour, dairy, or oil. If they’re interested in more delicious and nutritious recipes they can check out PlantzSt.com for more ideas.
In this recipe, I use jam that is 100% fruit so there’s no refined sugar added, but rather uses fruit-juice as a natural preservative. This sugar-free jam can be hard to find and a little pricier. If you’re gifting this to friends or family who are not strict in avoiding sugar, you may consider using either a traditional jam or your personal favorite.
In a similar fashion, I use oat flour in this recipe to keep it gluten-free, but that doesn’t mean you have to. If you’re gifting this to friends or family who are not gluten-free, feel free to use whole wheat or even white flour.
Of course, I prefer and recommend the recipe as written from a health perspective. If you’re reading this, chances are you also prefer the more nutrient-dense version as I have written it. However, I know that everyone’s taste buds are different, so feel free to adjust the recipe if you think doing so would make for a better gift.
ACTION STEPS TO INCLUDE WITH GIFT (click here to print)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Empty both jars into a large mixing bowl. Add ½ cup water and mix into moist batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter (1-in apart) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, depending on preferred crispiness. Enjoy warm!