Recipe from Vegan Under Pressure by Jill Nussinow
Makes four 1-cup servings | Ready in 20 minutes | Stores 6 days in fridge
- 1½ pounds beets (about 6 medium)
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (zest oranges before squeezing)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 large slices orange zest
2 teaspoons Dijon or stoneground mustard
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups spicy greens like arugula, mustard or a mix, washed and dried
- Scrub beets. Remove tops, stems and tails and cut in half. Then cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Put the orange juice, vinegar and the large slices of orange zest into the cooker. Add the beet slices. Lock on the lid. Bring to high pressure. Cook for 3 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally for 7 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid, tilting it away from you. Remove the large pieces of orange zest. Transfer the beets from the cooking liquid to a bowl, and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Mix the mustard, orange zest, and green onions with the beets. Pour the liquid from the cooker over the beets.
- Add ½ cup of spicy greens to individual salad plates and top with ¼ of the beet mixture.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, this recipe can also be made on the stovetop. Add the ingredients to large skillet and add an extra cup of liquid (water or freshly squeezed orange juice). Cover, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat so the liquid has a strong simmer. Cook like this for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beets are tender. Then continue with step 4.
The spicy greens balance the sweetness but feel free to use any greens. I didn’t have arugula on hand so I used a mixture of shredded and lightly steamed kale and cabbage.