Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 2 servings | Ready in 15 minutes | Stores 5 days in fridge
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk (8oz)
- ½ cup dry cornmeal (2 oz)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds (1 oz)
- 2 ripe bananas or plantains, sliced (8 oz)
- ½ cup blueberries (4 oz)
- 1½ tablespoons walnuts pieces (1½ oz)
- Add the water, non-dairy milk to a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Pour in the cornmeal and use a whisk to stir frequently.
- Once it returns to a boil, lower the heat to low. Simmer until the polenta is cooked, about 5 minutes. Continue stirring frequently to keep the polenta from clumping. While it cooks add the cinnamon, turmeric, and chia seeds.
- Then add in the sliced banana. I use the whisk to help break up the banana a little.
- When the polenta has your desired consistency, turn off the heat. Portion out the porridge. Top with blueberries and walnut pieces.
Having warm cereal for breakfast has a staple around the world for ages, but with so many combinations, it never gets old!
Seriously. My first three years eating plant-based I had oatmeal or another porridge almost every single day. And on the days I missed it for breakfast, I looked forward to having it for dinner!
Not only can you choose (or mix!) from different the various grains, like oats, brown rice, and millet, you can also get creative with your toppings. Fresh fruit—preferably what’s in season—is a must for me. I frequently add seeds and/or chopped nuts as well.
Other seasonings, including extracts like vanilla extract or maple extract, and spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg, add another dimension to your breakfast bowl. You could even go decadent with nutritional yeast, nut butter, cacao powder, or coconut flakes.
I call this recipe the Nutritarian’s Polenta-Chia Porridge because it’s ingredients are nutrient powerhouses. With just this single dish you can knock off six of the seventeen servings on Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen!
1 serving legumes (soy milk), 1 serving berries (blueberry), 1 serving flax (chia seeds are a close second), 1 serving nuts (walnuts), 1 serving spice (turmeric, which is what he emphasizes), 1 serving whole grain (cornmeal).
Enjoy this tasty Nutritarian Polenta-Chia Porridge for an anti-aging, energy-boosting, immune-strengthening, brain-building start to the day! Cook like your future matters and shine bright with plants!