Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 8–12 pancakes | Ready in 25 minutes | Stores 4 days in fridge
¼ cup flaxseed, ground
1 cup water
¼ cup peanut butter (tahini or almond butter also work)
2 cups cabbage, grated (purple and/or green)
2 cups sweet potato, grated
1 cup kale, sliced in ribbons
½ cup green onions, sliced on a diagonal
½ cup rolled oats, ground or quinoa flakes (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed, water, and nut butter. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, sweet potato, kale, green onions, and oats. Mix well.
- Once the flaxseed mixture has thickened and become gelatinous, transfer it to a clean blender. Blend well. A small blender would be easiest if you have one available.
- Transfer the blended flaxseed mixture to the bowl of vegetables. Mix well until all of the vegetables are coated. Feel free to use your clean hands to do this.
- Turn a non-stick skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Take a handful (about ½ cup) of the vegetable batter in your hand, gently squeeze it all together (don’t expect it to form a ball) and then lay it in the hot pan. Repeat this a few more times until there’s no more space in the pan. Cover with a lid and cook the pancakes for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Gently flip the pancakes, press down on the pancakes with the spatula to compress the vegetables, and cook uncovered for about 3 minutes, or until the second side is toasted.
- Transfer your pancakes to a plate, and repeat steps 7 to 9 with the remaining vegetable batter.