Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 4–6 cups | Ready in 1–4 hours | Stores 10 days in fridge
4 yellow or red onions, peeled (More or less as desired)
- Thinly slice or dice the onion.
- Add the onions to the Instant Pot and then.
- Press the “Slow Cook” setting and set the time. You want to cook the onions anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours. The longer the onions cook for, the sweeter and more caramelized they’ll be. I usually set the timer to 2 hours.
- Lock the lid in place and OPEN the steam valve because you do not want to build up the pressure for this recipe.
- There’s no need to stir the onions as they cook, but if you want to feel free.
- When the timer beeps or they’re prepared to your liking, turn off the Instant Pot. Transfer the caramelized onions to a serving dish or airtight container to save and enjoy throughout the week.
Sweet, caramelized onions can completely change a dish, adding a rich, complex flavor to an otherwise average meal. That’s why I love making this recipe—it gives you enough caramelized onions to enjoy all week long!
AND there’s no butter or oil used.
They’re 100% fat-free!
Caramelizing onions is dramatically easier in the Instant Pot than on the stovetop where they require constant attention and frequent stirring to prevent burning—especially when you’re not using any fat to coat the pan.
The pressure cooker traps all the steam inside, allowing the onions to cook at even higher temperatures. The steam also locks in moisture, letting the onions cook without burning,
The Instant Pot Caramelized Onions are slow-cooked. The gentle heat means a longer cooking time, but it also means less risk of burning and better flavor overall.
As they cook, becoming more and more tender, they will turn into a golden brown color, and eventually a rich, dark brown.
They’re well worth the wait. The longer the onions take to caramelize, the more sweetness and the more umami they develop!
These onions go great in salads, over baked potatoes, on top a veggie burger, and so much more!
I suggest starting these asap, so you can start adding the sweetness to your meals!