Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 1–2 servings | Ready in 8 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge (keep nuts separate)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats.
- 2 Medjool dates, diced*
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 fuyu or amigaki persimmon or orange, sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon pecan pieces (any nut or seed is fine)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the rolled oats and diced dates. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Now, add the chopped kale, but don’t bother stirring it in. Put the lid on the pan to steam the kale for a couple of minutes.
- Once the kale is bright green, remove the lid and turn off the heat. Transfer the oatmeal to individual serving bowl(s).
- Add the orange or persimmon slices. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds, pecan pieces, and shredded coconut. Enjoy warm.
For a creamier oatmeal, add the water and rolled oats at the same time and then bring to a boil. You can also cook the oats in an unsweetened, non-dairy milk instead of water for a creamier consistency. However, the latter makes the dish more calorie dense.
If you prefer a fat-free oatmeal, leave out the pecans and shredded coconut.