Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 2–3 servings| Ready in 20 minutes | Stores 5 days in fridge (nuts kept separate)
- 2 medium red beets, peeled and ends trimmed (16 oz)
½ cup dry quinoa (3 oz)
2½ cups water
½ tablespoon Turmeric Spice Blend (separate recipe)*
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 navel oranges, peeled and diced or split into segments (18 oz)
2 tablespoons ground flax seed (½ oz)
¼ cup walnut pieces (1 oz)
- Dice beets into ½-inch pieces.
- Add the quinoa, beets, water, Turmeric Spice Blend, and cinnamon to pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the beets are tender when poked with a fork.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
- Top individual bowls with the ground flax seed, orange segments, and walnuts.
Breakfast bowls are very popular in the plant-based community right now. Chances are you’ve enjoyed them yourself. If you start your day with a bowl of cooked oats, or another whole grain, topped with fruit, nuts and/or seeds then breakfast bowls are already part of your routine! Awesome!
Have you ever had a breakfast bowl with vegetables?? If not, are you up for the challenge?? It may seem a little different in the U.S. but it’s the norm around the world. You can choose any veggies you like. One I’ve been adding to my breakfasts more and more over the last year are beets.
I love their sweet taste, but I choose beets specifically because they improve blood flow all over your body. This improves the delivery of oxygen to your organs and tissues, which leads to better mental and physical performance. Knowing this, don’t beets sounds like are an excellent food to start the day with?!