Recipe by Katie Mae
Makes 1 dozen muffins | Ready in 45 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
¾ cup rolled oats, ground (oat flour)
½ cup quinoa, ground (quinoa flour)
½ cup almond or coconut flour
½ tablespoon baking powder, aluminum-free
½ tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
10 large Medjool dates, pitted
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups peeled and shredded apple
½ cup walnut pieces (optional)
¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Fill a muffin pan with a dozen paper or silicon muffin cups.
- Add the ground flaxseed, apple cider vinegar, and non-dairy milk to a small bowl. Stir and let it sit for 10 minutes so the milk can curdle and the flax can gel.
- In a large bowl, add the oat, quinoa, and almond flour. For a lighter consistency, pour the flours through a sifter or fine-mesh strainer and leave out any larger pieces. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the milk-flax mixture, dates, and applesauce to a blender. Blend until the mix has an even consistency.
- Fold the wet ingredients and the flaxseed mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix just until everything is moistened, and the batter has an even consistency. Fold in the apple and walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes. At that time, poke with a toothpick to see that they’re done and no longer moist in the middle. If the toothpick comes out wet, let them cook for 5 more minutes. Let the muffins cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!